27 June 2006

new job = high school

cafeteria
busy work*
bitches
teachers (managers)
students (employees)
starts at 8
class lets out at 5
social heirarchy


Where do I fit in? I'm the weird one who brings a lunch and sits alone in the corner reading books.

Between lunch breaks, all the downtime, and the frequent girly chatty sessions, I've read two books since starting last Monday. The Secret Life of Bees and The Perks of Being a Wallflower (I wish I'd had The Perks of Being a Wallflower when I was a kid). Easy reading, nothing scholarly, new or groundbreaking. Basically stuff that's been sitting around for ages. I have so many books lying around that I've never gotten to and had to start somewhere. Today I started on The Jungle, which I bought in high school after we discussed it in history class.

It's very embarassing, but for the last few years I haven't read much. So now I want to use all of these open work hours to get some done.


*cute story:

One day last week, in our training class, the teacher asked if we liked crossword puzzles. I shyly raised my hand.

Everyone else looked at each other uneasily.

She then left to retrieve our puzzles from a printer in another room. My classmates talked about their dislike for crosswords. They're HARD.

The teacher lady came back and a classmate said she didn't like crosswords. She asked, couldn't we do one of those where you find and circle the words? Teacher lady said, that's what this is. My classmates smiled and were relieved. She then handed out the puzzles she'd printed off.

I looked down and found a word search on my desk. You know, one of those where you find and circle the words?

The next day we did another word search and teacher lady continued to insist on calling them "crossword puzzles."

Feeling insulted for the second day in a row is something I couldn't be quiet about. I wouldn't say it in so many words, but I said that I didn't really like these, and they weren't exactly learning tools, more like busy work. The teacher said, oh, yeah, well that's what it is (busy work).

You want to know the words we searched this time? Just a sampling:
amazing
awardwinning
prizewinning
winner
conqueror

We had just completed a section of training on sales technique in which confidence was stressed.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home