02 October 2006

every day that i go to work, i die a little more inside


About a week ago a co-worker had the insanely brilliant idea of bringing a stereo to work and tuning it to the local country station ALL DAY LONG! Fortunately radio stations play the same 30 or so songs all day, and I have gotten caught up on my country music listening. I'll tell you a little secret: I haven't ever listened to country music! Shh I know I know. But now I have all of the current hits memorized and own roughly 50 country CDs after my Wal-Mart music spree last night.

I also have a favorite song, which (thank you, jesus!) plays at least a dozen times over the course of my eight hour day. It is Rascal Flatts' cover of "Life is a Highway" from Disney's major motion picture event Cars.

First, the name of the band: AWESOME! There's no other way to put it. It just rolls off the tongue. It feels good to say. They're Rascals! And then the Flatts part makes it sound like the name of a place. A magical place.... of country western beauty, dancing, lyrics and song! Oh how I wish to go there! I want to live in this place called Rascal Flatts! And this band takes you there. Through their music. Their beautiful, beautiful music.

Second, the song. "Life is a Highway" is a classic by any standard, originally written and recorded by Tom Cochrane, that songbird from the north. The song was from his 1991 masterpiece Mad Mad World and was his greatest hit. (And for dang good reason, too, LOL!) I believe that "Life is a Highway" is a beautifully written metaphor for life. Life is a journey, and Tom Cochrane is gonna take that journey! No matter the ups and downs, or bumps in the road (haha!), he's a survivor! I think that's what he's trying to say. I could be wrong. Ah, poets!

Third, and last, is the new spin those Rascals put on the classic tune. First, they made it country, which suits the song just fine. They also made that little riff that plays throughout the song more prominent. (Thank you!) But my favorite part is their adorable country sangin'! For example, in "all night long" the "long" is really a "loa-ung". How inventive! So, fresh, so original! I need more! And they give us more! Throughout the song we are given new alternatives for word pronunciations. "Light" becomes "laight", "in" is "ee-in", and "eye" is "ahh". Pure genius! Some would say that the English language is cut-and-dry, but these guys prove that there's room for a little flair in the way we use words.

Examine these lyrics. See if they don't move you as much as they did me! I dare you not to cry! You won't make it!

"Life is a Highway"
originally written and recorded by Tom Cochrane
recently (excellently!) covered by new favorite band chez Lauren, Rascal Flatts

Life's like a road that you travel on
When there's one day here and the next day gone
Sometimes you bend and sometimes you stand
Sometimes you turn your back to the wind
There's a world outside ev'ry darkened door
Where blues won't haunt you anymore
Where the brave are free and lovers soar
Come ride with me to the distant shore
We won't hesitate
To break down the garden gate
There's not much time left today

Life is a highway
I wanna ride it all night long
If you're going my way
I wanna drive it all night long

Through all these cities and all these towns
It's in my blood and it's all around
I love you now like I loved you then
This is the road and these are the hands
From Mozambique to those Memphis nights
The Khyber Pass to Vancouver's lights

Knock me down get back up again
You're in my blood
I'm not a lonely man
There's no load I can't hold
Roads are rough, this I know
I'll be there when the light comes in
Just tell 'em we're survivors

Life is a highway
I wanna ride it all night long
If you're going my way
I wanna drive it all night long

Gimme gimme gimme gimme yeah

Life is a highway
I wanna ride it all night long
If you're going my way
I wanna drive it all night long

There was a distance between you and I
A misunderstanding once
But now we look it in the eye

There ain't no load that I can't hold
Roads are rough, this I know
I'll be there when the light comes in
Just tell 'em we're survivors

Life is a highway
I wanna ride it all night long
If you're going my way
I wanna drive it all night long


Boy, did I use the word beautiful a lot in this post! I guess I just can't help myself! It is the most perfect adjective to describe the music we've discussed here today.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry to tell you but here in the Great White North, Tom Cochrane has hit after hit in his long and successful career. If fact he has a new album out today called "No Stranger". The single "Didn't Mean" is riding high in the charts.
Alan, Calgary, AB.(via Birmingham, England).

10:52 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Who knows where to download XRumer 5.0 Palladium?
Help, please. All recommend this program to effectively advertise on the Internet, this is the best program!

1:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home